Saturday, July 26, 2008

New Job.

26 July, 2008

It's almost 2am and I just can't fall back asleep...thought I'd just catch up on my blog.

It has been almost 2 months since I joined Traders Hotel Kuala Lumpur as an AFOM (Assistant Front Office Manager) and so far am enjoying every single bit of it. I feel like I'm contributing more here, and I have more say in my job. Maybe the main factor as to why I'm enjoying the work despite the long daily hours and the 1 day off per week, as compared to a 2-day off per week in Westin, is that my job scope covers my favourite area, the Concierge. You can say, although here I am in Traders as a AFOM, but I feel and am given the all systems go by my superior, to perform just like a Chef Concierge. I am given the challenge to lead and improve the department the best way I see it should be. And the best thing is, I have full support from the bosses all the way.

The highlight so far since I joined Traders was when I attended the Les Clefs d'Or bi-monthly meeting held recently in Sunway Hotel and Spa Resort. Although I've always been an active member, but this time, I was attending it as a Concierge boss, and even bringing along two of my team members, whom have never been exposed to the society before. I had as strong sense of responsibility in ensuring that this first time meeting for them was a memorable and lasting one, just like for me when I first attended the Les Clefs d'Or meeting years ago, with my then Chef Concierge - Mr R. Bahadur. I was glad that it turned out fine, plus the response from the other Chef Concierges from other hotels were also positive towards my presence, as 'AFOM, in charge of Concierge' which is very, VERY rare. They were all happy for me and some were even advicing me to request from my bosses to have the title 'Chef Concierge' added to my current post. Oh I wish it was that easy!

Apart from being the Concierge so called 'boss', I am also responsible of the Front Office Department, assisting Ms Nora, my FOM and Viv, my fellow AFOM. So in their absence, the whole Front Office Department, including the Concierge, Service Centre and Health Club & Spa, is fully under my care. Now that's a BIG heavy burden to carry! So I'd have to do a 'Speedy Gonzales' on learning the ropes and catching up on the processes and procedures to ensure that I don't crash and burn! My brief experience as a Duty Manager in Westin has a lot to do in my coordinating and executing this part of the adaptation process.

It is a bit hard to adjust with my now only 1 day off job, as I have been sort of pampered for a year with having 2 off days per week in Westin, but Alhamdulillah, Lissa and Leilani are both very supportive and understanding. Maybe my long hours at work does annoy Lissa a bit, but slowly I am tying to re-organise my time management at work, and she is slowly adapting to this too...It also helps that my new bosses and colleagues are quite caring are very reasonable with me in terms of working hours, and they are always encouraging for us all to have family time and all...Take for instance today, when I was supposed to work at 3pm, but suddenly Leilani had a bout of stomach ache, so I rushed her to the hospital at lunch time. I gave a call to Ms Nora to explain that I may be late for work, she responded by asking me to take the day off as 'family comes first'. Lissa was so jealous when I told her this, as her boss is so the opposite! Hehehe...

So, hopefully it all stays this way, or maybe for the better......We'll see as my 3rd month is coming up, and that's where I will sit through my review......wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home